One thing you can plan is your medical kit. I asked my kids' pediatrician (the lovely Dr Susanna Chow http://www.drchild.hk/Home.php) for her top tips. She divided it as follows:
- Pain/Fever relief and inflammation e.g. Ibuprofen
- Pain relief e.g. Panadol
- Antihistamine e.g. Piriton
- Nausea relief e.g. Gravol
- Stomach cramp relief e.g. Buscopan
- Diarrhea rehydration salts
In addition to this, I would add band aids, nail scissors, syringes for dispensing medicine, savlon antiseptic spray and insect bite cream. I also have some Voltaren suppositories for high fever.
In any case... don't panic! However remote your travels, there are always pharmacies and always doctors.