Wednesday 13 June 2012

US Road Trip Review: Vancouver to San Francisco

Last summer we embarked on an amazing 2 week road trip from Vancouver to Silicon Valley, California.  We were visiting friends in Silicon Valley (just outside San Francisco) and knew that would be our last stop.  Having done southern California the year before and much of Northern California in a previous life sans kids, I decided to find a map and conjure up a route


VANCOUVER - SEATTLE - PORTLAND - CANNON BEACH - NEWPORT - BANDON - SAN FRANCISCO - MOUNTAINVIEW

We were traveling with our daughter, who was just over 2 and I was about 5 months pregnant:

ADVANCE PLANNING - MAKE YOUR TRIP EASIER
  • I booked 90% of the hotels in advance, direct on their website to obtain cancellable bookings
  • Put together my geeky travel spreadsheet detailing accommodation, driving distance, hotel, activities, restaurants (a big driver for our US food trips is my husband's obsession with Man Vs Food and the need to eat at all his restaurants)
  • Cathay to Vancouver (hubby flew back to HK from San Fran and I flew on with daughter with BA to London)
  • Booked hire car and confirmed child car seat *make sure you have valid drivers licence for US
  • Obtained the US ESTA (visa waiver) for the family https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
It was an incredible trip and I will write my reviews of the cities in a separate post

No comments:

Post a Comment