Tuesday 1 May 2012

A kid friendly minibreak from HK: Macau!

My father in law is in town so we decided to head to Macau for the weekend.  I booked the hotel and ferry tickets through my friendly agent (Daryl at Concorde Travel) and off we went.
This was a particularly busy weekend for Macau travel due to the public holiday but I would always recommend booking your ferry ticket in advance as the standby queues can be long and no fun with kids.
The journey is one hour and we took the Cotai ferry direct to the 'Vegas' strip.  We were staying at the Galaxy Macau, one of the newest hotels and took the Galaxy shuttle direct from the ferry terminal.
In true Macau style, the Galaxy was over the top glitzy and gold but the service was good and we checked in fairly quickly.  Even though I had prebooked a cot and rollaway bed, neither were in the room but they arrived quickly.  And I have to say the cot was the nicest I have seen provided by a hotel!

I had booked the Galaxy as it has a big wave pool and I thought my 3 year old would love this.  Indeed she did and she was also rather taken with the fab kids pool and man made beach.  In addition to the bouncy castle, there is a designated 'Kidz Island' indoors which hotel guests can use free of charge.  Children under 5 must be accompanied by an adult.

The hotel would not provide a babysitter for my 7 month old (only children over 1 year) - BTW THIS IS A GOOD FUTURE TIP TO ALWAYS CHECK THIS IN ADVANCE.  So we took the kids with us over to the Venetian (free hotel buses to the Venetian complex) and ate at the delicious Brazilian restaurant there
FogoSamba
The rooms were spacious and clean.  There's a big shopping mall within the complex with pharmacies, coffee shops, designer stores and restaurants.  I would say for the wave pool, this hotel was a lot of fun but I preferred the vibe at the Hard Rock and would probably stay there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment