Wednesday 27 July 2011

Aeroplane travel with a bump! (pregnancy not the turbulent kind)

I have flown during both of my pregnancies from as early as 4 weeks to as late as 33 weeks.  Although I fly often, I am absolutely petrified of flying and normally I like to take a lovely combination of sleeping pills & wine to get me through!  However, whilst pregnant I get to enjoy(!) flying naturally again and here are some tips:

  • Check with your airline how late you in your pregnancy they will take you
  • Check with your insurance how late in your pregnancy you can travel
  • After about 20 weeks + of pregnancy and when you are really showing, I think it's definitely worth getting a doctor's note permitting you to fly.  You will most certainly need one anyway if you are flying over 27 weeks.  I have been asked numerous times at check in to produce one
  • Parade your bump at check in. Sometimes it might get you a better seat or even upgraded!
  • For long haul flights get proper support stockings that reduce risk of DVT
  • Drink lots of water
  • Bring lots of snacks
  • Move around on the plane
I know some people are concerned about flying whilst pregnant but if you read any medical websites, they will all say it's perfectly fine.  They do suggest the best time to fly is between 14 to 28 weeks when the risk of miscarriage and premature labour are lower.  As with all my travel advice, I can only say if you are feeling good - go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment